Media Lab 979 – Publisher; College Station, TX (1999 – Present)
BrazosReporter.com, a digital-first news outlet for the Bryan-College Station community, is the most notable current project in the lab. Over the past decades, Media Lab 979 has published print, online, and e-commerce media outlets including the Student Discount Handbook, Brazos Business, Brazos Home, The Scene, Eat BCS, Research Valley Press, Brazos VIP, and 365 Deals for U. Additionally, Media Lab 979 has done consulting and research projects for publishers across the United States.
- Conducted media sales and audience development experiments. Deployed tactics that proved effective to provide insights and drive results for consulting clients.
- Consulted and worked in-market for media operations from New Jersey to San Diego.
- Built an e-commerce daily deal site that sent $350,000 in payouts to businesses and sent over $25,000 in cash to charities.
- Contributions of cash, VIP vouchers, and ad space to community and student organizations exceeded $50,000.
Money Mailer – Corporate Markets Manager; Austin and San Antonio, TX (2014 – 2015)
Responsible for leading sales and operations in 7 corporate-operated Money Mailer franchise territories.
- Made all 7 previously struggling franchise territories profitable within 2 months; 4 months ahead of projections.
- Supported a team of 6 Marketing Consultants in signing over $750,000 ad contracts during the first 90 days.
- Wrote a Marketing Consultant Manual that was adapted by Franchise Development for use in franchisee training.
- Created a simple Sales Team KPI/KRI dashboard system that became the standard across all corporate owned markets.
Austin Elegant Living – Director of Sales and Marketing; Austin, TX (2006 – 2014)
Directed marketing tactics and signed key accounts for home services & improvement magazines mailed to the highest income single-family homes in the Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas-Fort Worth market areas.
- Designed rate card, map, media kit, industry-specific one-sheets, ad sales website, content-oriented consumer-facing website, and business-to-business direct-response marketing flyers, postcards, and emails.
- Taught sales, design, and administrative teams to use the CRM system to coordinate sales and service efforts while providing excellent data to fuel effective business-to-business marketing campaigns.
- Signed in excess of $500,000 per year in home service and home improvement advertising.
- Added over $200,000 per year in revenue to Valpak of Austin, an additional media outlet in our ownership group, by helping magazine clients translate their successful campaigns to the blue envelope.
Valpak of Austin – Marketing Director / Key Account Executive; Austin, TX (2006 – 2011)
Sold direct mail advertising programs to key accounts in addition to executing business-to-business marketing programs.
- Created in-depth educational website with sample ads, best-offers, consumer information, and best practices guides for prospective Valpak advertisers. The site generated 10-20 sale-ready leads per month for the Valpak sales team.
- Attended over 100 Valpak Coupon University courses in Louisville, Memphis, Tampa, St. Louis, and online. Courses covered topics ranging from coupon design best practices to crafting effective sales letters and telemarketing scripts.
Mailbox Money Magazine – Consultant / Sales Trainer; Princeton, NJ (2006)
Helped double sales in 2 mailings for an 80,000-circulation, digest-sized coupon magazine in Mercer County, New Jersey.
- Combed competitive media with sales team to create a database of prospects who were buying similar ad programs.
- Created process documents and training materials on pitching the right prospects, presenting the magazine, and closing.
Austin American-Statesman – Texas Gold Account Executive; Austin, TX (2005 – 2006)
Responsible for bringing new advertisers into Texas Gold, a monthly coupon magazine mailed to 265,000 homes published by the Austin American-Statesman newspaper.
- Built sales to exceed $30,000 per issue, starting without a base of existing accounts. Averaged 7 new clients per issue.
- Created new format and strategy to sell front covers that sold out in 5 days, adding over $60,000 in annual revenue.
- Tasked with training an Account Executive with declining sales. Her monthly sales doubled from $12,000 to $24,000.
College Station Scene – Sales Manager; College Station, TX (2002 – 2003)
Started a monthly entertainment publication to serve the College Station, TX market.
- Responsible for local advertising sales and managing racked distribution.
- Achieved sales of over $10,000 in first issue and increased sales to exceed $15,000 in last issue prior to selling my interest.
The Orange Card / MetroPass, Inc. – Vice President; Austin, TX (2002 – 2003)
Partnered with a brilliant University of Texas student who wanted to create a discount card for the campus area. The Orange Card sold for $20 and cardholders received discounts at over 100 university area businesses.
- MetroPass, Inc. broke even financially but was highly profitable in terms of what I learned and who I got to work with.
- The brilliant UT student taught me to use spreadsheets in exciting new ways among many other things. We went on to work together on another project the following summer. We are still good friends.
LonghornDelivery.com / Student Delivery, Inc. – Marketing Director / Partner; Austin, TX (2001 – 2002)
Responsible for consumer marketing of LonghornDelivery.com, one of the country’s first online restaurant delivery services.
- Recruited and managed a team to walk door-to-door executing menu and coupon campaigns in the campus community.
- Helped triple daily volume to over 100 orders utilizing traditional advertising media along with guerilla marketing tactics.
Armstrong & McCall Wholesale Beauty Supply – Salon Sales Representative; Orange and Riverside Counties, CA (2000)
Visited salon owners and licensed cosmetologists to showcase professional beauty products for retail and backbar.
- Filled a sold-out, 40-seat classroom with cosmetologists who purchased an introductory class and starter supplies to try a new professional hair coloring system.
- Added $1,000 per week to route sales volume by checking out an inventory of “detail items” that were on deal and providing clients instant gratification by allowing them to purchase by cash or check and get the goods on the spot.
Collegiate Marketing Group – Regional Sales Manager – Texas; Scottsdale, AZ (2000)
Managed service for all existing Student Discount Handbook advertisers in the Texas region while developing new clients.
- Recruited, trained, and managed sales and marketing interns in Austin, Lubbock, College Station, and San Marcos, TX.
- Added 59 new accounts, increasing sales for the region by 18%.
Ad Pages Magazine – Marketing Consultant; Austin, TX (1998 – 2000)
Sold direct mail advertising to local and regional advertisers in Ad Pages, a coupon magazine mailed to 335,000 homes in Austin and 645,000 homes in Dallas/Fort Worth, TX.
- Increased sales in worst performing mailing area within two months of start date from $3,600 to $12,800, making it the second best performing out of the 13 mailing areas in the Austin market.
- Created a specialty publication targeting UT Students that grossed over $120,000 per year in incremental revenue.
Hill Country News – Advertising Representative; Cedar Park, TX (1996 – 1998)
Sold retail and classified display advertising for Hill Country News, a community weekly in Cedar Park, TX and 16 community newspapers throughout the state in the Granite Publications group.
- Starting with an account base of $1,200 in classified-display service ads, built retail, classified, and multi-paper book of business exceeding $15,000 per month by the end of my first year on the job.
- Discovered untapped market for multiple newspaper advertising in the manufactured home industry generating over $65,000 per year in new accounts.
Content: Brazos Business (Business Reporter, 2014 – 2018), Eat BCS (Food Writer, 2012 – 2018), Hill Country News (Special Section / Advertorial Writer, 1996 – 1998) Maroon Weekly (Restaurant Writer, 2012-2013), Morgan’s Deals (Copywriter, 2010)
Design: Austin Elegant Living (Publication Design / Training / Website, 2009), First Class Creations, Inc. (Publication Design / Website, 2009 – 2015), Real Green Pest & Lawn (Coupon Ads, 2007 – 2011), Renewal by Andersen (Print Ads, 2008 – 2011)
Digital: Austin VIP Gifts (Shopify Setup, 2014), Beauty Market (Website, 2017), Easy Phone Repair (Site Optimization / SEO / Social Media, 2019), First Class Creations, Inc. (Salesforce, 2010), Hungry Howie’s Pizza of Tempe (Social Media / Email Marketing, 2013), Insite Brazos Valley (Web Design / Email Newsletter, 2012 – 2015), LazerSmooth Hair Removal (Web Design / Social Media, 2011), Morgan’s Deals (Daily Deal Platform, 2014), Student Discount Handbook (Coupon Website, 2009)
Restaurant: Bahama Breeze (Server, 2001), Carl’s Jr. (1994), DoorDash Delivery (2019), In-N-Out Burger (1995), Sonic Drive-In (Car Hop, 1995 – 1996), Pizza Hut (Server, 1996), Subway (1995 – 1996), Whataburger (1995)
Research: LBJ Presidential Archives (Historic Research, 2019), San Diego Union-Tribune (Commercial Market Research, 2016)
Retail: Armstrong-McCall (Store Associate, 1994), Trade Secret (Beauty Advisor, 1994 – 2001), Wal-Mart (Cashier, 1999)
Sales: Chantal’s Antiques, Design & Estate Jewelry (Commissioned Sales, 1997 – 1999), MCI WorldCom (Telemarketer, 1998), Lone Star Homes (Manufactured Home Sales, 1997), Register Tapes Unlimited (Advertising Sales, 2001)
Startups: Longhorn Delivery (Consumer Marketing, 2002 – 2004), Morgan’s Deals (Business Planning & Development, 2010), Voyager Campervans (Austin Operations, Marketing, 2019 – Present)